Register Calendar Latest Topics

  Author   Comment  

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 6,792
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm planning on doing a bear hunt in a few months.  I've crossed the border several times with a gun.  I checked a couple of days ago to get the latest info.  Figured I'd save someone else the legwork as the season is approaching. Here's some useful info from a few sources to move your personal firearms back and forth across the Canadian border. Note our CBP Form 4457 is needed to get your gun BACK INTO the U.S. when you come back from your hunt. You can get that completed well ahead of time by going to a CBP office or port of entry (see below). It must be completed before you leave the country. I carry mine in my gun case. Any forms you can fill out ahead of time makes for an easier and quicker border crossing.

It might also be a good time to put a plug in for making sure your passport, drivers license, vehicle tags, registration and insurance is up to date.

Canadian requirements for taking firearm / rifle to Canada to hunt

What are the requirements for taking a firearm / rifle to Canada to hunt?

Information on how to obtain the Possession and Acquisition License and forms can be obtained on the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Web site, or by calling call (800) 731-4000. Prior to leaving the U.S., you should register your firearm at a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office. You will need a completed CBP Form 4457 to present a CBP officer upon your return to the U.S.
For more information about Canada's regulations for temporarily importing a firearm, please contact the Canadian Border Services Agency at (506) 636-5064.
This is the form needed when you cross INTO Canada. It should save some time at the border if prefilled. Do not sign it until you get to the border and in front of their Customs folks.

RCMP 5589 / CAFC 909
  • Non-Resident Firearms Declaration
  • To obtain this form, please email or contact
RCMP 5590 / CAFC 910
  • Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet
  • To obtain this form, please email or contact
Bringing a Firearm into Canada

You may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun and up to 200 rounds of ammunition into Ontario as a visitor, but you must be 18 years of age or older to do so and the firearms must be for hunting or competitions use.

* You must be at least 18 years of age to bring firearms into Canada.

* You must either have a Canadian Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) or you have to register your firearms at the Canadian border. You are able to obtain and complete a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration form before you cross the border which will make it easier and less time consuming. The permit fee is $25.00 (CDN) per person for a temporary registration permit and the permit is valid for 60 days. Call toll-free 1-800-731-4000 to get a Firearms Declaration Form.

* Easiest way to obtain a Canadian PAL (possession and Acquisition License) prior to importing guns into Canada. If you have a PAL, you do not have to fill out registration forms and there is only a one time fee.

* You cannot import prohibited firearms. Fully automatic weapons, all hand guns and guns of less than 66 cm (26 inches) in length are prohibited by law.

* Restricted firearms such as pistols or revolvers may be temporarily imported if you have an Authorization to Transport (ATT) in advance from a Canadian Chief Firearms Officer.

* Seasonal residents may import restricted firearms, but must have a Possession and Acquisition License or a valid Firearms Acquisition Certificate in addition to an ATT.

For more info on importing firearms into Canada:
Canadian Firearms Centre, 284 Wellington Centre. Ottawa, ON K1A 0H8.
Ph: 1-800-731-4000. or
I called the 1-800 number to the Canadian gun office.  They are going to mail me some CAFC 909's.

If you choose to print your own Non-Res Firearms Declaration Form (CAFC 909) versus having them mail you one, it must be done in triplicate. Below is the pdf.

If you're brining in more than 3 weaps, here's the continuation form.

When I was in Maryland, I went to the CBP office at BWI to get my CBP Form 4457 filled out.  I called ahead of time so they knew I was bringing my rifles into the airport.

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,809
Reply with quote  #2 
Too much trouble just take a bow. 


President Donald J. Trump and 1911: My two favorite 45s!

Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.