Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Bloodhound

Avatar / Picture

TRIBE LOGOsmall30
Registered:
Posts: 2,977
Reply with quote  #1 

Regards to geese on the western shore. Will the freezing ponds/ lakes force the geese to migrate out?

0
artsmag10

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,167
Reply with quote  #2 
Rarely will they stay long on frozen water.
Will move to open water.

More importantly will be food sources.
0
fiveoffour

Registered:
Posts: 95
Reply with quote  #3 
Yeah, the food is what matters. If all the small stuff freezes, they'll roost on the bay, but you don't want to shoot em on the roost, or they won't come back. Find out where they want to eat, and either get there or in between the two spots.
0
chcltlabz

Registered:
Posts: 1,028
Reply with quote  #4 
On the western shore, frigid temperatures very rarely push the geese out, and usually push more birds in to our area.  It will push them to roost on larger bodies of water that don't freeze though, so if the birds you're hunting are roosting on those areas, you will be in for a big increase in their numbers.

It has to get obscenely cold for some of these to freeze, like negative temperatures for long periods of time, because the birds will keep the water open.  They may move later in the day though, so stick it out or hunt afternoons.

I don't think we've got anything near cold enough in the forecast for any of that to happen though, but some small ponds will start to skim over.

__________________
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of ‘up to and including their life.'
       
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
0
Bloodhound

Avatar / Picture

TRIBE LOGOsmall30
Registered:
Posts: 2,977
Reply with quote  #5 

Unfortunately, ponds are freezing up in my area. That said, with the hopes they’re still around does it make sense to set up over a small creek running through an open field or set up on the food source? Or break the ice and make a small opening in a pond I have permission?

0
RND

Avatar / Picture

TRIBE LOGOsmall30
Registered:
Posts: 3,496
Reply with quote  #6 
Bloodhound thanks for starting this thread....

Just last night I was watching a duck n goose hunt on Pursuit channel,I DON'T WATERFOWL HUNT so forgive me,the hunters were breaking ice(very thin) in a circle the size of a canoe....Why do ducks need some open water? They were Mallards and the water was deep(over a man's headl....Ducks were landing on the ice(comical) so why open the ice up? That's all the hunters were doing,breaking ice,shoot,go back out and break ice,shoot....

__________________
 
 
americanborderpatrol.com
borderlandbeat.com
Arizonaborderrecon.org...Join em and go do your civic duty and protect our border.
Texasbordervolunteers..Go have fun, catch some illegals and protect our borders.Yes you can actually be hands on and proud to say you caught illegals and sent em back!!..Oh, forgot, you can carry a weapon to protect yourself. Something you cant do in Maryland.
calvertbrewingcompany.com Field Staff.
runningharevineyard.com pro staff (Pick your wife up a bottle, yoil get lucky later).
0
Chris0nllyn

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 177
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound

Unfortunately, ponds are freezing up in my area. That said, with the hopes they’re still around does it make sense to set up over a small creek running through an open field or set up on the food source? Or break the ice and make a small opening in a pond I have permission?



Scout the day before.

With this weather coming in, they are searching for food and will tomorrow. If you can, set up in the field AND on the edge of the pond. Put some shells/sleepers on the bank of the pond, a few floaters, and have fullbodies/silos spread into the field.

Make yourself a U or J and sit in the middle.

If they start flying and want to go to the pond only, tighten the spread closer to the pond. If they want the field, spread out into the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RND
Bloodhound thanks for starting this thread.... Just last night I was watching a duck n goose hunt on Pursuit channel,I DON'T WATERFOWL HUNT so forgive me,the hunters were breaking ice(very thin) in a circle the size of a canoe....Why do ducks need some open water? They were Mallards and the water was deep(over a man's headl....Ducks were landing on the ice(comical) so why open the ice up? That's all the hunters were doing,breaking ice,shoot,go back out and break ice,shoot....


Decoys need to float and would sit on ice at an angle. Not appetizing for passing ducks.

Also, ducks look for open water. They may have been landing on ice because there wasn't much room in the hole, but that hole brought them in close enough to shoot.
0
Brownie

Avatar / Picture

TRIBE LOGOsmall30
Registered:
Posts: 2,632
Reply with quote  #8 
when I'm breaking ice, it's generally going to be a pretty good shoot.  Full bodies in the field/edge and a dozen or so in the hole usually works pretty good.
0
Chris0nllyn

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 177
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie
when I'm breaking ice, it's generally going to be a pretty good shoot.  Full bodies in the field/edge and a dozen or so in the hole usually works pretty good.


I remember 2 years ago, last 2 days of duck season my buddy (DoubleA on here) and I were hunting public land.

It was a 2 mile walk to the blind. Walking through snow, carrying a kayak, 5 doz. decoys, waders, guns, etc.

We get there and sheets of ice are on the water. I start busting holes and tossing decoys and end up busting a seam or popping a hole in my waders. The sweatpants I had on underneath were soaked. Feet soaked, everything.

The chaffing that happened on that walk back could have started a forest fire.
0
Brownie

Avatar / Picture

TRIBE LOGOsmall30
Registered:
Posts: 2,632
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn


I remember 2 years ago, last 2 days of duck season my buddy (DoubleA on here) and I were hunting public land.

It was a 2 mile walk to the blind. Walking through snow, carrying a kayak, 5 doz. decoys, waders, guns, etc.

We get there and sheets of ice are on the water. I start busting holes and tossing decoys and end up busting a seam or popping a hole in my waders. The sweatpants I had on underneath were soaked. Feet soaked, everything.

The chaffing that happened on that walk back could have started a forest fire.


Oh yeah, that's the joy of duck hunting.  Breaking ice one year and went down hard.  Fell on my arse, water all the way up to my neck polar plunge style.   Soaked all the way down from my neck to my socks.  Hunted for 3 hours as a human popsicle!  
0
TheCornPileAvenger

Registered:
Posts: 851
Reply with quote  #11 
Breakin that ice tomorrow good luck everyone
0
jadams8777

Registered:
Posts: 27
Reply with quote  #12 
will thaw after today

0
Dirtybird420

Avatar / Picture

TRIBE LOGOsmall30
Registered:
Posts: 2,812
Reply with quote  #13 
Yup don’t panic. It ant freezing long enough to do anything. N yes I love ice for ducks. All my best days involved busting ice.
0
Bloodhound

Avatar / Picture

TRIBE LOGOsmall30
Registered:
Posts: 2,977
Reply with quote  #14 
My fears came true. All the ponds were frozen and wasn't a goose to be found.
What's the chances of them returning with the warm spell?
0
jadams8777

Registered:
Posts: 27
Reply with quote  #15 
20171215-DSC_2143.jpg they didnt mind the ice friday


0
JayBird

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,176
Reply with quote  #16 
2 real good hunts in 2 days dealing with ice.

Killed birds Friday morning, with the help of an ice eater.

20171215_090454.jpg 

And then killed birds Saturday morning after busting a hole and putting a mallard machine in to keep open.  Every bird tried to land in the hole the size of my living room.

20171216_093616.jpg  
20171216_093708.jpg 

  

0
Bloodhound

Avatar / Picture

TRIBE LOGOsmall30
Registered:
Posts: 2,977
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird
2 real good hunts in 2 days dealing with ice.

Killed birds Friday morning, with the help of an ice eater.

20171215_090454.jpg 

And then killed birds Saturday morning after busting a hole and putting a mallard machine in to keep open.  Every bird tried to land in the hole the size of my living room.

20171216_093616.jpg  
20171216_093708.jpg 

  

Nice! What county are you hunting?


0
JayBird

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,176
Reply with quote  #18 
St. Mary's. 

Friday before the snow came in I have never seen so many birds working down in my entire life.  There must have been some extreme cold up North this past week or so to get the push that I witnessed. 
0
Scamp

Avatar / Picture

TRIBE LOGOsmall30
Registered:
Posts: 3,873
Reply with quote  #19 
Very nice. Way to go.
__________________
Silently he sneaks along, the deer don't even know. Ornaments; he carries none, but the notches on his bow. 




0
Mooseknuckle

TRIBE LOGOsmall30
Registered:
Posts: 1,365
Reply with quote  #20 
And there is still a few guys saying no birds around.  insert head scratch emoji
__________________
The grasshopper lies heavy
0
Chris0nllyn

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 177
Reply with quote  #21 
There's a TON of birds in the area right now. It's going to warm up a bit so who knows what that'll do.
0
littleantler

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,366
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle
And there is still a few guys saying no birds around.  insert head scratch emoji

We had birds last week but after Fridays weather they have left. None around home for several days now.    Got me baffled.
0
Mooseknuckle

TRIBE LOGOsmall30
Registered:
Posts: 1,365
Reply with quote  #23 
Yeah.... weather was good for birding last week, saw almost no one hunting. I think birds are laying low, on roosts, enjoying the warmer high pressure. I'm working this week while the weather is good for it. Next week looks like gunning weather again.
__________________
The grasshopper lies heavy
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.